Thursday, April 29, 2010

Unwritten, Blog Title


















As I spend more time with my blog, and other's blogs, I've been asking myself, "Hmm, is the title of my blog appropriate?"  At first glance, it seems to be an oxymoron, or contradictory to blogging itself.  After all, writing is at the heart of blogging ~~ writing to share with others, and having others share, in turn.

Then I think of why I made the choice of the title "Unwritten."  I began my blog shortly after returning from my first-ever art retreat, Creative Escape 2009, in Phoenix, Arizona.  I feel that this retreat was a life-changing experience for me; an experience I want to always remember ~~ the people, the techniques learned, and the life lesson that I discovered within the retreat.  The theme song for the retreat was Natasha Beddingfield's "Unwritten," and this song is the inspiration for my blog title.  I loved the song the first time I heard it, and a year later it still resonates with me; I connect with many of the words within this song.  The lyrics are as follows, with the words I most connect with being italicized:

I am unwritten, can't read my mind, I'm undefined

I'm just beginning, the pen's in my hand, ending unplanned

Chorus:
Staring at the blank page before you,
Open up the dirty window.
Let the sun illuminate the words that you can not find.
Reaching for something in the distance,
So close you can almost taste it.
Release your inhibitions.
Feel the rain on your skin.
No one else can feel it for you.
Only you can let it in.
No one else, no one else,
Can speak the words on your lips.
Drench yourself in words unspoken.
Live your life with arms wide open.
Today is where your book begins.
The rest is still unwritten.


I break tradition, sometimes my tries, are outside the lines.
We've been conditioned to not make mistakes, but I can't live that way.

[Repeat Chorus]

As I sing these words (I'm glad you can't hear me, as I have no sense of tone or tune!), I am inspired to reach for my dream of creating art and an enjoyable life, without inhibition, to make the most of each day, to feel the rain (and sun!) on my skin, to share the words in my heart, to wake up each day and embrace the day as a new day ~~ the beginning of "my book," or life ~~ putting the past behind me, and living life fully, with my arms wide open. 

I'm also reminded that my life does not always follow "the norm," but instead I follow my own path and "break tradition," reaching "outside the lines" in my actions ~~ sometimes this is good, and sometimes it's a mistake. But I now see that I learn from these experiences and thus should have no regrets, as today's a new day. A day where my book begins! I'm living and sharing "my book" here, within this blog.





















So, in short, it is my belief that "Unwritten" is the perfect title for my blog!  Perhaps it's not "the norm," but it fits my goal and is a much needed reminder for me to live my life with arms wide open, and to cease the day and everything possible within it! 

When I began my blog seven months ago, its purpose was personal; a "journal" to track my personal growth, as well as the growth of my art, and thus I didn't even consider the perceptions of others.  Today, I am thrilled to see others viewing, and sharing my blog, and my viewing and sharing their blogs, and thus I felt I should share my blogging inspiration with you.

I think back to the first time I heard of blogging, and recall my having no comprehension of what it was.  That wasn't too long ago!  Today, I think of my parents and grandparents and can only imagine they would have no comprehension what blogging is and why we blog.  I can hear my Grandmother saying, "what happened to letter writing, and why is that not enough anymore?"  During my childhood, she would write me weekly, and I would respond, even though we only lived one hour away from each other.  She had beautiful handwriting, in my humble opinion, and I always looked forward to receiving her letters. 






















On the other hand, if Mom were still living, she would definitely be reading tons of blogs and considering starting her own, if not already mastering the art of blogging, ;).



















I believe blogging is an awesome way to share and learn with others, and I'm thrilled to have discovered blogging.  While I'm still a huge "Facebooker," and check in several times a day there, I am quickly growing to be more and more focused on blog land, checking in to see what others have posted on their blogs, commenting on their posts, and checking to see if I have received any comments on mine!  It's a heart-pounding moment when I discover "I've Got Mail" [a comment] on my blog ~~ it's the same feeling I used to get when I opened the mailbox and found that weekly letter from my Grandmother!  I'm also discovering I could spend ALL DAY reading blogs, commenting on them, and finding a world of sharing of information, life experiences, art inspiration, and great ideas in blog land!  My most recent "blog passion" are those blogs that post their "junkin' finds" from antique shows, yard sales, flea markets, etc.  I love to see what they've found, 8-)!

Now I look forward and wonder what will follow blogging.  Will we eventually not even have to type the words, lol?  Will we simply think something, and it will automatically be shared in blog land?





















(Pic from //www.darkgovernment.com/news/us-developing-mind-reading-technology/ with interesting article)

I would love to hear from you, as to what inspired you to begin blogging and what inspired your blog titles.  Did you begin blogging to share with others, or for personal reasons?  What do you enjoy most about it?

Happy blogging, creating, and discovering today and always! ~~ Jeanne

3 comments:

  1. Why did I start blogging? for this reason--to connect with other artists who "get excited" over art supplies, techniques, anything vintage,etc., etc. I am such an art addict :)
    It was just so obvious to me that this is what I wanted to do. Also I wanted to say that I love the lyrics to that song. I'm always amazed how writers can create art by putting words together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Janis Joplin, the song playing on your blog today was perfect...

    I started blogging to record my start with art. Someone had given me the advice to watch my progress through blogging, take pictures and write about my creative process along the way. At first I was really keeping the whole blog to only art-related topics. But lately I feel more open there and figured it is not a bad way to keep some of my family's stories recored as well. I Looooooooooove Artful Blogging magazine and recommend it in the highest way to you if you have not already started reading it. It really offers some beautiful pictures from blogs and also answers this question you have asked.

    xxoo
    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so happy that you "stumbled" by my blog and left comment. I have had so much fun reading through your blog and seeing your beautiful photographs! (you do awesome flowers) and I love your Suzi faces and soldering work! It's funny that sometimes you stumble across someone in this blog world that you just know would make a very good friend. I look forward to seeing more of you. I'll stop by your blogging front porch again soon. take care

    ReplyDelete