Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day


To all of our Mothers, I wish each one the best of Mother's Day.  To celebrate Mother's Day, I enjoy looking at old pics of my Mom.
This is one of my favorite pictures of Mom, taking one of her first steps alone, as she got out of Papa's car, circa @ 1937.  (Thank you, Misty, for sharing this picture with me!!!)

This is Mom (center), with two friends, during one of her first years at college, showing her fun, humorous side, circa @ 1954 in Red Springs, North Carolina (near Flora McDonald College).

This is Mom, as I last remember her, taken approximately six months before she passed, in 2002.  What a beautiful smile!
I was known as Mom's "Shadow" during my earlier years (following in her footsteps, everywhere she went).  She was a teacher at the Elementary School I attended, and actually taught me 2nd grade (and was the ONLY teacher to ever spank me...in front of my classmates, no less ~~ a memory I'll never forget, lol). 

As a child (and, basically, throughout my life), my siblings were not particularly fond of me (to put it nicely).  Thus, I spent most of my early years under Mom's wing, seeking her protection and love.  However, to be honest, once I became a teenager, I grew very rebellious and, during this time, Mom and I had many difficult years.  If I could take these years back, I certainly would do them differently; however, today I see that they provided for some very stubborn growth, and thus they are a part of me, and helped to make me whom I am today.  

Thankfully, in Mom's last years, (and mainly in her very last year), I grew to once again appreciate her, and love her free spirit.  My very favorite memory of Mom is the time we spent together at a "Wild Women's Weekend Retreat" at a Bed & Breakfast, near Mom's home in the mountains, seven months before she passed away.  We shared alot that weekend, getting to truly know and love each other again.  On our last night at the retreat, everyone attended a winetasting where we had a ball together as a group of woman of all ages.  Thereafter, at roughly midnight, while most of the other attendees were tucking themselves into bed, Mom and I sat on a swing on the verandah, overlooking a pond, and sang some of our favorite tunes ~~ "I See The Moon," "Delta Dawn," "If You're Happy and You Know It," etc., then we headed off to bed where we happily giggled for no particular reason at all until we finally fell asleep.  What a happy memory, 8).  I wish I had more happy memories, such as this one, of Mom and I.  However, I am very thankfully for this one, and encourage all "children" to make lots of happy memories with their Mom.

While my Maternal Grandmother was very influential to me, she did NOT like having her pics taken, so there are not many pics of her that remain.  However, here is one of my Maternal Great Grandmother, whom had passed away long before I was born.  Mom shared many happy memories of her grandmother, the most memorable story being of Mom's love for her Grandmother Colclough, and her love of braiding her Grandmother's long hair each night.
I found the following on Facebook today, and cannot help but share it:

♥ ~*~If roses grow in heaven, Lord please pick a bunch for me. Place them in my mother's arms and tell her they're from me. Tell her I love and miss her, and when she turns to smile, place a kiss upon her cheek and hold her for awhile. Remembering her is easy. I do it every day but there's an ache within my heart that... will never go away. ♥ I miss and love you mom, Happy Mothers Day to you in heaven~*~ ♥
 
May each of you, and your families, have an enjoyable Mother's Day, making happy memories with family, and celebrating the Mom (and Child!) within each of you!  May we all learn to let go of any resentments, and truly enjoy ourselves and our time with Mom and family, today and always.

1 comment: